Discover the amazing flavor and health benefits of salep, a traditional Balkan and Middle Eastern beverage that's beloved worldwide.
High-quality salep powder made from the roots of orchids is rich in minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. Additionally, it's gluten-free, making it a great choice for individuals with celiac disease or other digestive disorders, as it serves as an alternative to gluten-containing foods.
Salep, also known as Sahlep, is derived from the roots of certain orchid species, specifically from the genera Orchis, Dactylorhiza, and Neotinea. These plants thrive in regions with a moderate climate, such as the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and parts of Asia. The orchid roots are dried, peeled, and finely ground to produce the powder, which is then mixed with hot milk or water to create a thick and creamy beverage with a characteristic sweet and vanilla-like flavor.
Traditional medicine has long embraced this drink for its health benefits, such as:
Digestive support: Salep contains mucilage that soothes the stomach lining and aids digestion.
Immunity boost: Zinc and vitamin C found in salep strengthen the immune system.
Sleep support: Glycogen and starch help calm the nervous system and promote better sleep.
Bone health: Salep contains essential minerals like calcium and phosphorus, crucial for strong bones.
Preparation of the beverage:
- 1 teaspoon of salep powder
- 1 cup of milk (water or plant-based milk can be used)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
Mix the salep powder, sugar, and milk while stirring continuously and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes while continuously stirring until the mixture thickens. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon for flavor and garnish.
Salep is most commonly served as a hot beverage, but it can also be cooled and served iced. The preparation may vary based on individual taste and preferences, so adjust the ratio of salep powder to milk accordingly.
Why choose Salep from Albania?
- Albania is known for its high-quality agricultural products, and salep is no exception. Salep from Albania is produced from orchid roots that grow in clean and unpolluted soil. These plants are cultivated with respect for the environment and are carefully processed to preserve their nutritional properties.
- Salep from Albania is a 100% natural product, free of artificial additives or preservatives.
- Albania has implemented strict regulations for the harvesting and export of orchids, including the Orchis genus, which is the primary source of salep. This ensures sustainable trade in orchids and nature conservation.
The production of salep has been a tradition in Albania for centuries, and most local producers adhere to traditional methods, ensuring an authentic taste and quality.
Salep can be used as an ingredient in cosmetic products like face and hair creams and masks. Salep has hydrating properties and can help moisturize and nourish dry and irritated skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of salep powder with 2 tablespoons of water to create a smooth paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and mix thoroughly.
- Apply the mask to clean facial skin and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off the mask with warm water and pat your skin dry with a towel.
This mask can be applied once or twice a week.
100% salep (Orchis mascula root powder)
Package contents: 35g